Let’s take a look at what a proper resume for a psychologist consists of. We will competently provide information about skills, experience, personal qualities, knowledge of English, and achievements of a psychologist. Additionally, we will analyze a sample questionnaire and draw up a cover letter for your resume.
How is a psychologist different from a psychotherapist? These two specialties are similar: they provide mental health care, they can practice in private and work in public institutions. What is the difference?
A psychotherapist is a doctor who diagnoses and treats various addictions, phobias, and depression. He has the right to use psychotherapeutic techniques, prescribes drugs, and antidepressants. But his competence does not include the treatment of severe mental illness.
A psychologist is a specialist with an education in the field of psychology, but his powers do not include the diagnosis of diseases and the prescription of drugs. He heals a person’s soul with psychological methods and counseling. But if a patient requires medication, he is sent to a psychotherapist.
The psychologist mainly has to fulfill the following duties:
- Carrying out educational, corrective, consulting, diagnostic, and psycho-preventive work.
- Diagnostics of behavioral disorders, anomalies and deviations, protest, and risk behavior.
- Analyze the factors that influence the patient’s thinking and behavior.
- Conduct consultations and conversations individually or in groups.
- Prepare reporting documentation and keep a schedule of admission.
- Advise managers in identifying social and psychological problems in the team.
- Help new or young employees adapt to the team.
The profession of a psychologist is complex, therefore it has rather high requirements:
- Higher specialized education and qualifications.
- Experience in a consultative form: group and individual.
- Ability to find an approach to any person.
- Proficiency in short-term and long-term counseling techniques.
- Competent, confident speech, and good diction.
- Confident possession of PC and office equipment
HOW TO WRITE A RESUME FOR A PSYCHOLOGIST
It is easier for a psychologist with work experience, but there are enough open vacancies for a less qualified applicant or student to get the position.
KEY PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
A good specialist, first of all, needs to be able to win over a person and create a relaxed atmosphere for a confidential conversation. To be able to listen to the patient, identify the problem, calm down, sympathize, and help him fix the situation.
An important factor is the professional skills of a psychologist:
- Understanding of goals, methods of activity.
- Possession of tools of psychological influence.
- Understand the specifics and different diagnostic methods.
- Be familiar with the psychological laws of cognitive processes.
- To understand the processes of communication and interaction between people of different generations, and different social status.
- Know the basics of counseling: individual and group.
- Possess the methods of psychotherapy, the skills of conducting psycho-corrective classes.
DEPENDING ON THE DESIRED PLACE OF WORK, THE SPECIALIST NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND VARIOUS AREAS OF PSYCHOLOGY (GENERAL, LEGAL, CHILDREN’S, SPORTS, SOCIAL, AND OTHERS)
WHAT TO DO WITHOUT WORK EXPERIENCE
It is not easy for novice psychologists who have recently graduated from training to find a decent job right away. At the initial stage, look for a vacancy for an assistant psychotherapist or sign up for an internship with an experienced specialist.
Try to consult on the Internet, additionally look for work in the field of psychology online. Also, in parallel, you can start accepting clients in person, just slightly reduce the price for a consultation. But at the same time, always continue to develop and improve yourself.
DO I NEED KNOWLEDGE OF ENGLISH?
Knowledge of English will be useful to any psychologist. The average level of English knowledge is usually declared in many vacancies in this field.
Also, knowledge of the language will be useful when participating in various training and seminars at an international level.
PERSONAL QUALITIES OF A PSYCHOLOGIST IN THE RESUME
Not everyone is capable of working as a psychologist. This is a peculiar and difficult specialty that requires complete immersion in activities and the presence of certain personal characteristics:
- Perseverance, patience.
- Interest in people’s problems.
- Sensitivity, empathy.
- Emotional control.
- Objectivity, tact.
- Self-understanding, openness.
THE THERAPIST SHOULD BE OPTIMISTIC IN ORDER TO SUPPORT THE CLIENT, INSPIRE HIM, GUIDE HIM AND CHARGE HIM WITH POSITIVE.
WHAT ACHIEVEMENTS CAN A PSYCHOLOGIST HAVE
The psychologist is a creative profession, specialists can be proud of their creations and achievements in the field of psychotherapy, such as:
- creation of your own methodology;
- treatment technologies – art therapy, manual therapy;
- creation of your own courses, training, programs;
- psychological meditations and videos.
An experienced and successful psychologist can publish a useful and relevant book on psychology, write articles that will be published in well-known publishing houses. The applicant can achieve success in a variety of areas: to realize himself in the scientific field or to open a psychological service department, read more in the article on achievements.
SAMPLE RESUME FOR A PSYCHOLOGIST JOB
The resume must be written clearly and competently so that there are no doubts about the competence of the candidate. The selection of information for the employer should be based on the requirements of the vacancy.
New York (not ready for business trips)
Desired salary from 7,000, full time
Telephone: +1 (234) 567-89-00 Mailbox: [email protected] Citizenship: United States Education: Higher Date of Birth: January 7 1990 (28 years old) Family status: Not married
January 2018 – present (10 months)
Social Assistance Center
- individual consultations with children and parents (legal representatives);
- family consultations, trainings;
- diagnostics upon admission to school / kindergarten;
- vocational guidance diagnostics;
- diagnostics of behavioral disorders, anomalies and deviations, protest and risk behavior of adolescents;
- correctional and developmental classes, master classes;
- art therapy classes incl. for parents (sand therapy, isotherapy, fairy tale therapy, work with metaphorical associative cards, blot therapy, plasticine therapy).
January 2017 – January 2018 (1 year)
Center for Social Services
- providing psychological assistance to social groups and individuals;
- organization of work on psychological education of the population
- conducting correctional and developmental classes;
- development of programs to increase the psychological security of the population.
study State Research University
Faculty of Social Sciences
Specialty: Clinical Psychology
- Specialty diploma.
- A valid certificate.
COURSES AND TRAININGS
2017, 3 months (1 year ago)
Modern methods of psychodiagnostics and counseling
Psychological consulting and educational center
Printing, scanning, copying documents, Internet, Email, Epharm, cash register
Driving license (category): B, C
Free time activities (interests, hobbies, hobbies):
I read medical resources, fitness, yoga, visit cinema, museums, exhibitions, study foreign languages.
Competent speech, organizational skills, result orientation, poise, activity, ability to independently solve assigned tasks, responsiveness, politeness, ability to easily find contact with people, optimism, I am able to achieve set goals, I can effectively plan time, attentiveness to details, striving for professional development, initiative
Can anyone recommend you?
Specify: Name / Position / Contacts
SUMMARY TEACHER PSYCHOLOGIST
This is a practical universal psychologist who mainly works in the education system. A good teacher psychologist is able to encourage people to develop and help them become the author of their lives.
- Conducting psychological counseling;
- Psychological education, training;
- Development and psycho correction;
CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST’S CV
A clinical psychologist is a highly qualified specialist in the field of psychotherapy who deals with research, diagnosis, and correction of psychological problems.
- Diagnoses the psychological problems of the patient.
- Determines the degree of the patient’s illness.
- Restores mental health.
- Accompanies the client in the treatment and recovery processes.
- Provides psychological counseling and correction.
PSYCHOLOGIST’S RESUME AT THE EMPLOYMENT CENTER
These specialists provide tremendous assistance and support to the population in matters of employment and unemployment.
- Provide and support the psychological health of the individual.
- Provide assistance to unemployed people.
- They help in the adaptation process.
- Promote the development of the necessary professional qualities of employees.
- Advise students and applicants.
- Carry out career guidance work.
SUMMARY KINDERGARTEN PSYCHOLOGIST, SCHOOL
A psychologist at children’s educational institutions helps teachers, educators and parents discover and explain the reasons for the failures and actions of children. This specialist makes children’s lives more comfortable and happy.
- Conducting consultations.
- Diagnosing children.
- Identifying the causes of children’s fears and worries.
- Assesses the child’s readiness for school.
- Conducts correctional work.
- Conducts developmental activities for children.
SUMMARY CONSULTANT PSYCHOLOGIST
This specialist provides psychological counseling to the client. Some of them are in private practice, others work in private health care services, as well as in consulting organizations of various profiles.
- Connect with the patient and build trust.
- Find out the client’s requests, his true problems.
- Translate problems into goals.
- Form a plan of psychological assistance.
- Follow the plan and adjust it if necessary.
- Arrange further consultations – homework, support, and control systems.
PSYCHOLOGIST’S COVER LETTER EXAMPLE
The cover letter plays a significant role in the candidate selection system. A well-written letter can draw attention to your candidacy and position the recruiter.
Hello ( write employer’s name if known )!
My name is ( fill in your Name and Surname ).
My letter is a response to your vacancy (indicate where you learned about the position). I am familiar with your company and have a great desire to work in it. (if known, write the address) for the position of a psychologist.
I have a higher education and work experience that fully meets the stated requirements. I also have solid experience in the field of human resources. I easily find contact with the team, attentive and friendly.
She passed refresher courses in the direction of “Social Psychology” and developed her own methodology for recruiting personnel.
I sincerely look forward to meeting you to discuss any issues. I am attaching a resume to the letter (or a download link). Thank you for your time!
Please contact me by contacts:
First name Last name
Link to profile in social networks (optional)